For many people, if not all, their hair brings them a sense of comfort and even boosts their self-esteem by using their hair to express themselves. These reasons could be partly why losing hair makes patients feel immense emotional stress, especially thinning hair.
Seek hair regrowth treatment immediately while it's in its early stages, so you'll receive more promising results and avoid it from progressing into permanent hair loss. Book a consultation with our hair loss doctor at Dermatology & Skin Health where we offer many treatment options to promote hair growth.
What Causes Hair Loss?
People who suffer from hair loss and thinning hair typically lose 100 hairs per day. Because new hair is growing at the same time, it isn't always noticeable. Hair thinning occurs when hair follicles are destroyed and replaced with scar tissue or when the cycle of hair growth and shedding is disrupted.
The most common cause of excessive hair loss is hereditary thinning or baldness. There are several other causes as well, some of which may be temporary:
- Androgenetic alopecia - this is a common type of hair loss, also called hereditary hair loss, male pattern hair loss, or female pattern hair loss. Androgenetic alopecia involves a receding hairline or a hair thinning at the crown.
- Alopecia areata - an autoimmune disorder that causes hair to fall out in patches
- Telogen effluvium - a condition caused by stress where your hair follicles stay dormant, maintaining in the resting phase (telogen) and not advancing to the anagen phase (growth phase).
- Scarring alopecia - inflammation that damages the hair follicle, resulting in a permanent hair loss
- Trichotillomania - also called hair-pulling disorder, this mental disorder involves irresistible impulses to pull out hair from your scalp and other areas with hair, including the eyebrows.
- Drug-induced alopecia - certain prescription drugs, such as blood thinners, high-dose vitamin A, and medicines for arthritis, depression, heart problems, or high blood pressure
- Other treatment procedures - radiation therapy or chemotherapy medications for the treatment of cancer
- Loss of nutrients - not having enough iron or proteins may result in thinning hair.
- Skin condition - skin conditions can affect the growth of scalp hair, like ringworm of the scalp, a contagious fungal infection most commonly affecting children
- Other underlying medical conditions - thyroid diseases, diabetes, lupus, and other underlying medical conditions may cause hair loss.
- Hormones - hormonal imbalances may cause hair loss. That's why you might also experience hair loss due to childbirth or from undergoing hormone replacement therapy.
- Medications - Certain prescription drugs, such as blood thinners, high-dose vitamin A, and medicines for arthritis, depression, heart problems, or high blood pressure
- Hair products - excessive or improper use of shampoo and styling products, including dyes, gels, relaxers, and sprays, may cause hair loss.
- Styling - hairstyles that pull excessively on the hair (like ponytails and braids)
Schedule Your Consultation Now at Dermatology & Skin Health
At Dermatology & Skin Health, we offer world-class services done by award-winning doctors who have proven their knowledge and skills in this field. Start your journey towards achieving your best skin by contacting us today.
How We Treat Your Hair Loss
Many people with hair loss can receive the right hair growth treatment with the accurate diagnosis. The hair loss doctor at Dermatology & Skin Health will assess your condition and come up with a treatment plan for the type of hair loss you experience.
- Consultation - your hair restoration treatment will start with a series of consultations and interviews where our hair loss doctor will assess the type of hair loss you have. We will check for underlying medical conditions.
- Treatment options - Dermatology & Skin Health offers integrated hair restoration treatment to improve your quality of life and bring you emotional and mental relief.
- Medications - your hair loss treatment may include or comprise only topical and oral medications that will stimulate every hair follicle to grow hair.
- topical minoxidil
- oral finasteride
- topical or oral estrogen
- medications for an underlying medical condition
Ensure taking only medications prescribed by our hair loss doctor to avoid adverse effects. These are ideal for patients in their early stages of hair shedding or temporary hair loss.
- Non-surgical solutions - patients wanting non-surgical procedures to address their hair disorder or hair loss can undergo other hair regrowth treatments available at Dermatology & Skin Health.
- Platelet-rich plasma - patients experiencing hair shedding, patchy hair loss, and excessive hair loss can benefit from injections of growth factors into the scalp. These growth factors harvested from your own blood cells help repair scarring and damage in every hair follicle, stimulating hair regrowth. This procedure makes every hair shaft thicker and healthier, improving hair health.
- Hair transplantation - Dermatology & Skin Health is equipped with the latest technology to conduct hair transplant surgeries using SmartGraft®. This technology is one of the effective hair transplantation methods for performing follicular unit extraction (FUE). Hair transplantation offers permanent hair loss solutions as they harvest healthy hair follicles and implant the hair grafts on your scalp.
Receive the right hair loss treatment for your alopecia areata, telogen effluvium, androgenetic alopecia, and other types and causes of hair loss. From suitable medications to hair restoration surgery, we are dedicated to helping you resolve your hair disorder or hair loss.
Integrated Hair Restoration Treatment at Dermatology & Skin Health
Dermatology & Skin Health offers solutions for patients experiencing mild to excessive hair loss. Our board-certified dermatologists help you achieve satisfying results with their expertise and care, along with the advanced technology they have.
- Expert hair loss doctors
- High-quality treatments
- Compassionate staff
Aside from traction alopecia, female pattern baldness, and other hair shedding problems, Dermatology & Skin Health also offers other solutions, like acne treatment, family medicine, skin cancer, and other medical conditions you experience.
Schedule Your Consultation Now at
Dermatology & Skin Health
At Dermatology & Skin Health, our excellent dermatology services are guaranteed to be safe and effective, performed by the top doctors in their respective fields. Treat your skin problems by contacting us today.
Schedule an Appointment for Your Hair Loss Treatment at Dermatology & Skin Health
Hair loss can leave a patient feeling demoralized, affecting their personal life. Dermatology & Skin Health provides you with a comprehensive assessment and treatment to reclaim your self-esteem and quality of life.
Dermatology & Skin Health is located in Dover, Newington & Londonderry, NH, and Peabody, MA, and our board-certified dermatologists can help you. Rest assured that we can identify the cause of your hair thinning or loss and determine which treatment option is right for you. Book your appointment online or give us a call today.
We're Actively Treating Hair Loss around the Following Service Areas:
*A non-exhaustive list of areas we service
- Nashua, NH
- Fremont, NH
- Hamilton, MA
- Wenham, MA
- Andover, MA
- Boxford, MA
- Middleton, MA
- North Reading, MA
- Reading, MA
- Lynnfield, MA
- Stoneham, MA
- Wakefield, MA
- Saugus, MA
- Lynn, MA
- Essex, MA
- Manchester-by-the-Sea, MA
- Beverly, MA
- Danvers, MA
- Peabody, MA
- Hooksett, NH
- Milford, NH
- Amherst, NH
- Goffstown, NH
- Candia, NH
- Auburn, NH
- Merrimack, NH
- Manchester, NH
- Bedford, NH
- Salem, NH
- Methuen, NH
- Windham, NH
- Pelham, NH
- Litchfield, NH
- Hampstead, NH
- Sandown, NH
- Chester, NH
- Derry, NH
- Londonderry, NH
- York, ME
- New Castle, NH
- Kittery, ME
- Portsmouth, NH
- Greenland, NH
- Rye, NH
- North Hampton, NH
- Exeter, NH
- Stratham, NH
- Newfields, NH
- Newmarket, NH
- Durham, NH
- Newington, NH
- Eliot, ME
- Barrington, NH
- Madbury, NH
- North Berwick, NH
- South Berwick, NH
- Rochester, NH
- Somersworth, NH
- Dover, NH